Thread: New York, New York at Yankee Stadium [merged]

Rich K is offline Gold Member

New York, New York

I'm no Yankees fan, but it was truly exciting to once again hear Frank Sinatra's voice filling Yankee stadium tonight with "New York, New York" after they won the pennant, especially at the end where the fans were singing along. For a moment it was as if Frank had never left us.
    I wish the tv crew had gotten a shot of Paul McCartney at that moment...just to see if he was singing along too. It almost makes this Cardinals fan want to root for the Yankees, especially since Joe Torre is an old Sinatra fan and buddy. (I did say almost)

Savatri is offline Diamond Member
    Oh, Rich, I didn't read the earlier post of yours. I was so anxious to express my feelings I just got on and blurted it out. I'm so glad to know that someone else was as thrilled as I.

Thanks for telling me Joe Torre is an "old Sinatra fan and buddy." I knew about Guiliani but didn't know about Torre. I kept waiting for that moment and thought it wouldn't happen anymore.

Funny how something like that is so important to a Sinatra fan. It's like resurrecting him and I know he is still with New York all the way.

Savatri
    Joan
    "Don't be trapped by dogma which is living as the result of everyone else's thinking" - Steve Jobs

HEY RICH, I AM A BIG YANKEE FAN AND THE YANKEES ALWAYS PLAY NEW YORK NEW YORK OVER AND OVER NUMEROUS TIMES AFTER A GAME IS OVER UNTIL ALL THE FANS HAVE LEFT THE STADIUM.BY THE WAY THE YANKS HAVEN'T WON THE PENNENT YET!HOPEFULLY AFTER TONIGHTS GAME WE CAN SAY THAT.

New York, New York

Monti, Yes, I was a little premature with my pronouncment, but it will probably turn out to be accurate.
    As far as Joe Torre, I recall seeing a picture of Joe and Frank together when he was still playing.
    The last Sinatra concert I saw was in October 1994 in St. Louis, one of his last...and Joe (who was then the Cardinals manager) was among those in the audience. (Nancy attended that concert too; maybe she remembers Joe being there.)

gymrat is offline Silver Member
    Isn't it amazing how important Frank still is to New York?!! The statue should be a given, there shouldn't even be a question. With everything going on the City now, I understand a little delay, but Frank is New York City!!!
    Carol

The Yankees and Sinatra did it again. This time FS even got credit. After the game and New York New York, the announcer said "If ever a city needed to hear Sinatra sing that song this was the time."

What a thrill for the Yankees and for all Sinatra fans everywhere.

Savatri
    Joan
    "Don't be trapped by dogma which is living as the result of everyone else's thinking" - Steve Jobs

New York, New York

Isn't it great that even now, Frank can still represent that great city and, in this time, he sings not only of New York but of a special American spirit that somehow includes us all.
    Francis Albert, you are still bringing us thrills.

Smile EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!

YES YOU ARE RIGHT, JOE TORRE IS A HUGE SINATRA FAN, I AM A DIE HARD YANKEE FAN AND LIVE IN NYC. ONE SATURDAY NIGHT, OUR LOCAL AM STATION 770AM , WHICH IS NOT ONLY THE STATION FOR THE YANKEES BUT ALSO PLAYS A SINATRA SHOW ,HOSTED BY MARK SIMONE, HAD JOE TORRE ON AS A GUEST. JOE SPOKE OF HOW HE LOVED SINATRA AND SPOKE OF THE TIME FRANK INVITED HIM AND IS WIFE OVER FOR DINNER. SOMETHING JOE SAID HE WILL NEVER FORGET!
    ALSO IF YOU GO INTO www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/4172.htm YOU WILL SEE AN ARTICLE TITLED "YANKS PUT ANOTHER FLAG IN THEIR BAG" NOT ONLY WERE THE FANS SINGING NEW YORK NEW YORK, THE ARTICLE STATES MIKE MUSSINA WAS SINGING ON ONE END OF THE LINE, DEREK JETER ON THE OTHER. THE CROWD OF 56,370 WAS LOVING EVERY NOTE.

Frank - Thanks for all the great info and the story about Joe Torre and Sinatra. Loved it. I'm going to give that address again so that it might take you directly there.

http://www.nypost.com/sports/yankees/4172.htm

Also be sure to read the last line in article: "Four wins away from backing up Sinatra again." In fact, three paragraphs mentioned Sinatra and New York, New York. George King must be a Sinatra fan. That's so great.

Savatri
    Joan

Smile Yankee Stadium

Was at Yankee Stadium July 21 and watched my Yanks pull off an incredible win over the Bosox. But the highlight of the day when we were leaving the stadium was Frank singing New York New York I had goose bumps an inch high. Still is and always will be the greatest .

randy is offline Platinum Member

SONGS

i concur the song gives me goose bumps whenever i hear it, especially after sept 11, i think it's neat the way they keep playing it over and over, in fact here in san francisco we kind of stole a page out of the yankees book, whenever the giants win we play i left my heart in san francisco by tony bennett, which is certainly appropriate for this fair city
    randy

Lynda L is offline Platinum Member
    I'm from Michigan, but I always watch the Yankees. One of the reasons is New York New York, if they win. I also love Derek Jeter and Joe Torre. I love the whole team...love watching them. Their games never seem to be boring to me.
    "Here's to trouble-free tomorrows. May your sorrows all be small."

"New York, New York" Played At Yankee Stadium

When the Yankees win at Yankee Stadium, they play Frank's rendition after the final out. (Last night October 9th, the fans joined in singing it). However, when they lose a game they play Liza Minnelli's version. No comment!

I've been a Yankees fan since my father told me Mickey Mantle was the greatest baseball player to ever play the game when I was growing up. I think I read Mantle's autobiography when I was nine.

I told an anchor for the morning news show that I tried to stay up to watch the Yankees win, but fell asleep before it was over. So I had to play Sinatra's "New York, New York" on my way to work.

I feel like the Dunkin' Donuts guy when I'm leaving my house at 3:30 in the morning.

"Time to make the donuts."

BobbySoxer is offline In Memoriam

Enough Already!

Frank Sinatra was never a Yankee fan! He rooted for the Brooklyn Dodgers until they moved to California. He welcomed the franchise to L.A. and went so far as to become an Impostors Fan. By then he was also a Los Angeles resident, so this made sense.

As for Joe Torre, he was born in Brooklyn, played and managed in Atlanta, St.Louis and New York - but with the Mets. He honed his managerial skills in his hometown and went on to become a great manager of the Yankees who appers to have the skills to manage George Steinbrenner as well as the team.

He became friends with Sinatra, and may have had something to do with selecting the song NEW YORK, NEW YORK after a Yankee win - yes, Torres is an excellent manager and I applaud his taste in music; but rooting for the Yankees -
    It will be a cold day in Hell!
    Bobbysoxer