Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Songs he never sang

Chuck Granata is offline Platinum Member

Songs he never sang

Re: SONGS HE NEVER SANG

Nelson's daughter told me that he was VERY excited that Frank had asked him to do another album, just before Nelson died. When his children visited his office the afternoon of his death, they saw that Nelson had begun scoring a few tunes for the project (we don't know what they were - the kids did not take them).

There are many tunes that Frank never addressed, that he would have made definitive recordings of. Among my favorites that Frank never sang: Cole Porter's "Every Time We Say Goodbye" (perhaps my favorite song of all time); Mercer's "I Remember You," and Oscar Hammerstein's intensely romantic "A Kiss To Build A Dream On." Also, no Sinatra version of "Skylark," or "Early Autumn." (The Mercer songbook is chock-full of killer songs that Frank should have done).
    Amy of these would have been masterfully done under Riddle & Sinatra's sure hands.

Chuck G.
    BONX!

RonnieC is offline Gold Member

The People He didn't (but should have) recorded with

Throughout the 1990's,I talked regularly with the great Perry Como.Mr.C. often expressed a regret that he and Mr.S. hadn't recorded an album or a song together.Perry was still semi-active in 1993 when the Duets sessions were going full steam ahead.It's a shame that Perry wasn't brought in to sing with Mr.S. I talked with Perry shortly after Mr. Sinatra passed away. One of the first things he told me was that Mr.Sinatra came in sick(with a sore throat/laryngitis) to introduce him when he was inducted into the TV Hall of Fame!They performed together at the White House in the early 80's,but a studio session...a song or an entire album would have been great!
    I also would have liked Mr. Sinatra record with Vic Damone,Mel Torme,Shirley Bassey,Louis Prima(they worked together on TV,and Mr.S. recorded and toured with Louis' sidekick Sam Butera in 1976),Dick Haymes,Bobby Darin,and Nat King Cole(Nat played piano on the Columbia Sweet Lorraine and they sang on the radio,but they should have collaborated more...especially during the Capitol years!)
    Ron

ELIZABETH Guest

Post Songs He Never Sang

Dear Chuck, This Thread is certainly interesting food for thought. It's tragic that Life is just too short, even for someone who was singing as continuously as Frank Sinatra. As you know, Frank had imppeccable taste. He must have felt at times, like a Child inside a Candy Shop, due to an over-abundance of choices of wonderful Songs to sing. The World wasn't lacking great Song Writers and Lyricists. In fact, the Time period was like a Musical Renaissance. So many Composers wanted only Frank's brilliant interpretation of their Songs, for they knew he was The Best. For that very reason, Frank must have frequently faced difficult choices regarding which Songs to sing and not sing, because of the limitations of Time. The shortcomings of certain Songs were very clear to him. He could choose well and do well with everything he chose to sing. It would be interesting if he had made a list of Songs he wished he had sung. I am sure there wasn't Time to make the list. He would have been singing the Songs instead. I can only Hope that since there is no limitation of Time in the next Life, that he is singing them all, and having a ball! I know Johnny Mercer was one of Frank's favorite Composers. I suppose that one Song I would like to have heard Frank's rendition of, would be Rodgers and Hammerstein's theme song to "The Sound Of Music", since it expresses what I think he felt--"My Heart Wants To Sing Every Song It Hears".

Hi Elizabeth,

What a great way to term this period in American popular music: a rennaisance! Absolutely.

I too wish that Frank had taken a shot at some of the R & H songs from "The Sound of Music." There are several songs from the score which would have fit his style beautifully; I can definitely hear a voice & guitar duet on "Edelweiss." I think that by the time the film jettisoned the show into the mainstream (1965), Sinatra had already turned a corner, searching for a new direction. The recordings he made between 1966 and 1970 prove that he wanted to appeal to a younger audience, and "The Sound of Music" really targeted the audiences directly above and below where Sinatra was aiming.

Frank Military, a close friend of Frank's (now an executive at Warner Chappell Music) once said that he tried to get Frank to go into a studio and record versions of the top songs he never recorded before: the "missing gems" by Cole Porter, Johnny Mercer, Berlin, and the Gershwins. Frank seemed interested, but they just never found the time. This was in 1954 or so...imagine what a treasure THAT backlog of performances would be!

Chuck G.
    BONX!

steffen is offline Sinatra: NEW YORK

Post written song list

i remember seeing a handwritten song list, a on a sheet. i don't know where it was, i think it was a collectors item from a scrapbook. i think it was a list written by a conductor for sinatra.
    sinatra read it and even corrected a false song title.
    one of the songs was "the more i see you".

steffen

i wish he recorded later versions of "tenderly", "speak low".

i know the american songbook from sinatras recordings, that's why i can't really say which songs i wish he sang, since i don't know how many more i like.
    SINATRA : NEW YORK ... Sinatra At Carnegie Hall 1980

Nita and Nana Guest

Songs He Never Sang

Chuck,

I recall a similar list made even later than 1954...something I heard on a radio interview of Frank back in the late 80s or so, by Jonathan Schwartz. When Frank received the list, he himself couldn't even believe that there were so many songs out there, that he hadn't touched. Again, I imagine time was a factor, because he never got around to tackling that list either. If I can find the audiotape of that interview, I'll see if Schwartz and Sinatra mention any songs.

Meantime, Chuck, maybe you could talk Junior into doing some of those gems his Daddy didn't cover. Afterall, while it is very noble of him to be so gracious to his father's fans and give them a wonderful walk down memory lane and pay tribute to his Dad at the same time, let's face it - da kid's got some pretty decent pipes himself, true? So have a go at it...ya never know!

FS Jr.

Good idea. Frank Jr. does a lot of the "classic" material that his dad never got to. My favorite that he does is the Gershwin's "S'Wonderful," with a great Nelson Riddle arrangement (the one Nelson wrote for Ella Fitzgerald). Frank woulda kicked some butt with that one! Jr. has a wonderful voice, and excellent taste in music.

Chuck G.
    BONX!

Rich K is offline Gold Member

Frank Jr.

I was saving this idea for later, but this is the perfect time. I'd like to see Frank Jr. do an album of arrangements written for his dad but never recorded...the other songs from the "Ladies" album in '77, those Nelson Riddle mid to late '70's charts Frank did in concert, Billy May's chart of "Cry Me a River" etc. I'd love to hear them come to life.

Fred Morgan Guest

Talking Ideal Duets Album

I would have loved to have heard Frank sing more contemporary songs with today's contemporary singers instead of just repeating his great classics. Really show them how it's done!

Fred

Lightbulb Classical Sinatra!

How do you think Frank would have fared with some of the great classicals: "Be My Love";"Intermezzo";"I Give To You";"Because";"My Reverie";"Moonlight Love";"Ah Sweet Mystery Of Life";"Till The End Of Time";"Only";"Experience Unnecessary"? Just a thought!

i always wondered what frank sinatra would have done with the most famous modern musical melodies.
    i think of the west side story songs ("maria", "tonight"),
    or "the music of the night" from the phantom.

how would he have sung "cabaret"? (he did "maybe this time" so well).
    "swanee"?
    "nessun dorma!", "torna sorriento" (i never heard his early "come back to sorrento", maybe that's it).

"theme from shaft" (like sammy davis sang it).

"the way we were" from streisand.
    "happy days are here again".

steffen

ELIZABETH Guest

Post Songs He Never Sang

Dear Chuck, Perhaps Cole Porter's "You'd Be Oh So Easy To Love", "Knowing I'm On The Street Where You Live" (From "My Fair Lady"), "If Ever I Would Leave You" (From "Camelot"), "The Music Of The Night" (From "Phantom Of The Opera", as Steffen mentioned), "Singing In The Rain", "A Pretty Girl Is Like A Rhapsody" (From The Busby Berkely Movie), "Unchained Melody" (Originally By "The Righteous Brothers").....So many Songs! So little Time! I am sure Frank could have worked Musical Magic with all of them!

Rich K is offline Gold Member

Easy to Love

Elizabeth:
    Good news. Frank did record "Easy to Love". It's on the Ring-a-Ding-Ding album, his first for Reprise...a great jazz-tinged version with Johnny Mandel.

ELIZABETH Guest

Post Songs He Never Sang

Oops! Thank You, Rich! That's what I get for not having listened to my Complete Reprise CD Boxed Set yet! hno:

speak low

I just bought a 3 cd set at Record Town at the Mall Of America. It includes the Villa Venice summit from Chicago 1962 and some other rare gems.
    I just heard Frank Sing 'Speak Low' for the first time. I agree with Steffen that it would have been nice to hear a new take on this one. The arrangement does not do this Kurt Weill classic justice. The 'voice' is always Great!
    I would like to hear Frank Jr. do a new take on this one.
    These discussions on what Frank "Coulda Woulda Shoulda" recorded are fun, but I for one am not complaining, We have more than enough to keep busy listening to. It is Amazing that "The Sinatra Songbook" is as Vast as it is!
    During the 1965 "A Man And His Music" Frank addresses the subject of songs he passed by,
    and some to his regret...Such as The Nat Cole
    classic "There was a boy, a very..." you know which one I mean...I know it well and Love it but the title escapes me at this moment.
    Well, Frank Sinatra Jr. includes this great song occassionally during "ballad time" it is haunting and beautiful.

Question "Nature Boy"

Made popular by the Great Nat King Cole! Mark Murphy does a tribute album to Nat which includes a very fine,"Nature Boy"Frank recorded it on Columbia on 4/10/48 w/Jeff Alexander choir! Not on my four disc 1943-1952 Columbia years box set?Mystery?

Nita and Nana Guest

Knowing When A Song Is Right...

Your mention of "Nature Boy" reminds me of FAS' in his "A Man & His Music" show, when he was talking about some of the songs he'd passed up, that became huge hits for other people. He joked about how he could go on for hours giving examples of his flawless judgment in picking songs...

Well, two of the songs he mentioned passing up were Nat King Cole's "Nature Boy" and "Mona Lisa". Another one he mentioned, not by name but by humming it, was "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing". Said William Holden told him he just had to record this new song from a movie he just finished, and he decided to pass on it!

So ya see, even Sinatra himself felt there were some songs he could've done well, but hey, whattaya gunna do, Charlie? Overall, I guess the business of singing is a lot like other businesses - it's often hit or miss....

Matter o' fact, I've read that Lee Mortimer's real beef with Sinatra was that Frank wouldn't record some song Mortimer wanted him to consider. And yanno, even though FAS didn't record it, I guess you could say it turned out to be a 'hit' anyway for dat creep!

Question Again,"Nature Boy"

Am I wrong,or did Frank record "Nature Boy" as it reads in my discography on April 10,1948? Is this a different,"Nature Boy?"

Nita and Nana Guest

Now, how could you be wrong, Paisan?

Yo Ed,

Of course you're right, baby - I'm sure FS meant, in that show, songs he hadn't recorded when they were first offered to him before others had made them hits...

Ciao for now, Beauty

there are some songs in the "reprise musical theatre repertory", that i wish frank sinatra had sung, instead of other singers:
    "were thine that special face", "where is the life that late i lead".
    i am glad he recorded the beautiful "younger than springtime" some 4 years later; this is a much deeper version than bing crosbys light version.

steffen

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast