13. High Hopes
    14. What Is This Thing Called Love?
    15. The Moon Was Yellow
    16. I Love Paris
    17. Blues In The Night
    18. Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
    19. Nice 'N' Easy
    20. The Christmas Song [with Nat King Cole]

This double-CD collection was released in honor of Sinatra's 80th birthday. Most of the songs were singles, which showed up the following year in The Complete Capitol Singles Collection, along with a few concept album tracks.

The one oddball recording is Nat King Cole's posthumous duet, produced by Phil Ramone. This mixes Sinatra's "The Christmas Song" from the 1957 album, A Jolly Christmas From Frank Sinatra, with Nat King Cole's unforgettable 1961 rendition. Ridiculous (IMO), but Capitol seemed partial to such electronic pairings due to the success of the Duets albums.

Included is a 24-page booklet containing numerous recording studio photos of FS, with liner notes by the late Pete Welding (his last set of notes).

Adam is offline Retired Moderator...
    This was the second cassette album that i bought when i first began listening to Frank.

I eventually wore out both cassettes, and had to buy a CD player for the other albums i bought.

If one listened to 'I Love Paris' on one side of the tape, and flipped it over straight away, it would give one the start of 'How Are Ya' Fixed For Love' so i did that almost constantly because i loved both songs.

Adam
    Adam
    Be Aware Don't Despair

Marty is offline Sir Martin Lewis
    Originally posted by Bob in Boston
    Included is a 24-page booklet containing numerous recording studio photos of FS, with liner notes by the late Pete Welding (his last set of notes).
    It's a real shame some of Welding's (and others like those of Stan & Will) liner notes haven't a home here on the site as in themselves are wonderful stand-alone articles on the man and his music, which many who don't possess the specific compilations or re-issues would really enjoy reading.
    Last edited by Marty; 10-03-2005 at 10:38 PM.
    oculis coniventibus facile est vivere

MAP 55 is offline In Memoriam

Thumbs up I'll have to go out and buy this CD

I had forgotten about it.
    Mark

"Your getting to be a habit with me"...Sinatra Now & Forever!

Rusty Bob is offline Bronze Member
    I see where Larry Walsh is listed last under "Special Thanks" but no real credit as to who did the actual mastering. These tracks are pre-Norberg right? Are they drawn from previous CD issues?

Gail is offline Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty View Post
    It's a real shame some of Welding's (and others like those of Stan & Will) liner notes haven't a home here on the site as in themselves are wonderful stand-alone articles on the man and his music, which many who don't possess the specific compilations or re-issues would really enjoy reading.
    I completly agree, Marty! I made the mistake of making a few of my first purchases via iTunes, and therefore did not have liner notes!!! I'll never do THAT again!

I have since purchased "The Complete Reprise" and "The Capitol Yeas" [UK version - which does not have much in the way of a booklet, but does have original liner notes for the CDs]. The Reprise has a nice book, but no liner notes for the individual lps I've been able to burn.

I would gladly pay for the liner notes as a separate purchase. I guess that's why many people who already have the music might buy something like this "80th" -- just so they can have the liner notes and/or booklet.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a book (the same size as an lp) with the original lp cover art and liner notes -- often those liner notes are very hard to read in the "CD size".

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Bob View Post
    These tracks are pre-Norberg right? Are they drawn from previous CD issues?
    Yes and yes.

This was an excellent compilation. When FS was alive, Capitol actually made an effort at a nice presentation. (Compare with their most recent offering which has no liner notes at all and mistakes in the song listings.)

SinatraFan is offline Life's A Trippy Thing
    Yes, All The Best is a quality product from Capitol and they chose an excellent group of songs. That included many hits and some of Frank's best songs for the label. Also, this was my second Capitol purchase and it helped me become an even bigger fan of Sinatra.

Wouldn't it be nice if there was a book (the same size as an lp) with the original lp cover art [u]and[u] liner notes -- often those liner notes are very hard to read in the "CD size".
    I agree, that would be a great idea, especially to have the cover art in LP size.
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Tim
    Tim is offline Silver Member
    Glad to see some props for this great set. Similar to Adam, I've worn out one of the tapes, but the other still works fine.

I've been considering replacing the tapes with the CD package, but I'm not sure that this would be necessary. Since I bought these tapes, I've bought all of the concept albums, the 3-disc Capitol Years set, and the complete singles collection - although not all in that order!. I'm not sure there is much here that I don't have elsewhere (except for the Christmas Song duet, and a missing line (?) from the Crosby/Sinatra duet).

Nevertheless, this was a great introduction to the Capitol era.

EDIT - Crosby's line towards the end, "You must be one of the newer fellows" is not present on the Capitol Singles collection. Not sure why they had the line in the 1995 All the Best release, but dropped it from the 1996 Complete Singles collection. Perhaps the line wasn't on the original single?
    Last edited by Tim; 07-24-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Clarification
    Tim

But then, this monday morning quarterback never lost a game...

SinatraFan is offline Life's A Trippy Thing
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyJo View Post
    EDIT - Crosby's line towards the end, "You must be one of the newer fellows" is not present on the Capitol Singles collection. Not sure why they had the line in the 1995 All the Best release, but dropped it from the 1996 Complete Singles collection. Perhaps the line wasn't on the original single?
    Tim, for more information about Well, Did You Evah?, see posts 63 to 66 and post 74 from the Sinatra In Hollywood thread.
    Last edited by SinatraFan; 07-24-2008 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Corrected name
    Allen
    "Could start for the corner... turn up in Spain... why try to change me now..."

Tim
    Tim is offline Silver Member

Very valuable information,

and thanks for the links!

A very interesting read indeed.
    Tim

But then, this monday morning quarterback never lost a game...

MMM
    MMM is offline Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    The Reprise has a nice book, but no liner notes for the individual lps I've been able to burn.

No, but there is the section in the book from Stan Cornyn. It's a compendium of sorts from various past liner notes he wrote for Frank's albums, including IIRC a few additions (like noting Lee Herschberg), made to hang together as a set of "liner notes" for the box. It was nicely done...

Quote Originally Posted by MMM View Post
    No, but there is the section in the book from Stan Cornyn. It's a compendium of sorts from various past liner notes he wrote for Frank's albums, including IIRC a few additions (like noting Lee Herschberg), made to hang together as a set of "liner notes" for the box. It was nicely done...
    Thanks for the tip, Martin. Do you recall the name of the book? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeeBee View Post
    Thanks for the tip, Martin. Do you recall the name of the book?
    Gail, Martin is talking about the book that comes with the Reprise 20-CD suitcase/box set. Stan Cornyn's chapter is titled "Eye Witness."

Thanks, Bob......I do have the 2nd Edition and the book that came with it. It is a beautiful chapter, but I wonder how many details I miss by not having the liner notes to the individual CDs/lps.

Getting back to this thread, are the liner notes worth the purchase of this CD if one already has the music?
    Last edited by Gail; 07-29-2008 at 03:19 PM.

Edwin is offline Platinum Member

Sinatra 80th All the Best

I did a search, could not find a thread with this album, so started this. I just picked up this 2 disc collection that has been around for a long time. It's a good collection, but I have everything on it so I didn't bother buyint it till now. .

I found it in a used CD box in a local store for $5 and bought it mainly because it has, as far as I know, the only CD version of "Well Did You Evah?" that includes Bing Crosby's comment, "You must be one of the newer fellas." Worth $5? Yes, to me. Of course there are 39 other fine recordings, too.

Even better is the movie version to see these two guys do the number, mix it up with each other, toss in some other dialog not on the record and enjoy Sinatra's wonderful moves. It's the highlight of the movie and Crosby has said it's his favorite of all the movie scenes he's ever done.

Gonzalo Duque is offline Listening on 141.850 AM!!
    Westland, Michigan but I'm from Jersey City
    It's a great compilation, and there is a thread for it, I found it on page 6, started by Bob on October 4, 2005.

It is worth having, and although I had all the songs on it anyway I didn't have the Christmas duet with Nat King Cole, done well after the fact.

I'm sure a member of the Mod Squad will merge yours with it.
    Gonzalo Duque "Gonzo"
    1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC 4.6L Cobra V8

Edwin..

Not too sure if that is the only Frank CD it can be found on BUT the version with the line "You Must Be One Of The Newer Fellas " can also be found on the "That's Entertainment" box set..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast