Thread: Dennis Day

RonnieC is offline Platinum Member

Dennis Day

It's time to start a thread on the great Irish tenor and comedian Dennis Day just in time for St. Patrick's Day tomorrow. He was always great on the Jack Benny Program, and he recorded one of his classic Irish albums for Reprise when Mr. S. had the label. His music (along with Bing's and John Gary's) is always required listening on St. Pat's Day (and every day for that matter...).

Ron

Gregory is offline Walter Mitty in Training
    The story is he got the job on Jack Benny's radio show because Mary too a liking to him. Apparently at the audition when they called out his name, "Dennis Day?" He replied, "Yes Please?" She loved that nervous humor of his.

I have always like Dennis. Aside from being a very good singer, he has a great gift of comedy and could do impressions. His Tidus Moody (from The Fred Allen show) was dead on.

He was replaced by Kenny Baker during Dennis' time in the Navy.

You're right Ron, you gotta listen to Dennis Day at St. Patrick's Day.

gbdawg422 is offline Platinum Member
    Well, before the good people at Sirius changed up the format (and, in my opinion, messed it up big time) on the Radio Classics channel recently, I used to enjoy the occassional Jack Benny show. I always liked how Mr. Benny would intone, "Now, Dennis...", or "Oh, Dennis..."
    Dennis sounded at the time like he was a very young lad, and, in fact, he was only 19 when he first took to the air (per the Wikipedia bio).
    Michael
    "I yam what I yam."

Greg is offline Silver Member
    Just saw this thread now. Don't s'pose it really matters, but Kenny Baker did not replace Dennis Day during the war. It was mostly Larry Stevens, with a few other guest singers sprinkled throughout. It was Dennis Day who replaced Kenny Baker in 1939. I don't believe Kenny Baker ever appeared on the show after 1939.

-Greg

Library Bob is offline "Conan, the Librarian"
    You were right about Dennis. A fine singer and, from what I understand, a terrific human being, as well.

Kenny Baker was, indeed, Dennis' predecessor with the Benny show. Dennis and the Bennys always remained close friends.

His sister-in-law was Ann Blyth, who was married to his brother, Dr. Peter McNulty (Dennis' real name was Owen Patrick Eugene Dennis McNulty) for almost 60 years at his death. They had four children. Dennis and his wife had ten!

I remember Dennis' last public appearence, about nine months before his death, on the 1987 Jerry Lewis Telethon. The gallant 70-year-old revealed that he had Lou Gehrig's Disease, and, with tears in his eyes, asked viewers for donations to help fight MD, Gehirg's, and other neuromuscular diseases, receiving a standing ovation at the end.
    Last edited by Library Bob; 10-04-2009 at 07:11 PM.
    "Remember, there's no place like home...'cept Vegas when Sinatra's in town." -- Bruce Willis in "North" (Columbia - Castle Rock: 1994)
    Library Bob

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

Unhappy I learn so much for this FAS website

I did not know Dennis Day died of ALS. I also do not recall him being on the telephon, which I never miss.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by Library Bob View Post

Kenny Baker was, indeed, Dennis' predecessor with the Benny show. Dennis and the Bennys always remained close friends.
    Kenny Baker was really Dennis' replacement on The Jack Benny Program while he was in the navy. Jack, being an old navy man himself, I'm sure was very proud of Dennis going into the navy.

Added: LB, you are correct. Baker did in fact precede Day on Benny's show. I appologize for that.
    Last edited by Gregory; 10-04-2009 at 06:42 AM.

ARIES3032 is offline In Memoriam

Smile I do have radio show tapes,

I will check for Dennis Day on the Benny show.
    LEATRICE (LEE) Fort Myers, Florida, USA
    Sinatra, Sinatra,Sinatra! Pray for Robin!

Greg- just to clarify your comments... are you saying that Kenny Baker preceded Dennis Day and replaced him when Dennis was in the navy? As I mentioned, that is not correct. Kenny Baker did not appear on the Jack Benny program after 1939. Especially seeing as Kenny quit the show, it would've been unlikely for Benny to invite him back.
    -Greg

No no, I was correcting my statement. You guys were correct that Kenny preceded Dennis. I was wrong in saying that he also replaced Dennis while he was in the navy. I should have edited that post.

My drive to work is exactly 30 minutes, so I listen to a Jack Benny show every morning. It's a nice little ritual that I have. I'm listening to them in order, and I'm up to 1937 now. Although some of the humour is a tad quaint, it's still surprisingly funny. There's always at least 1 or 2 laugh-out-loud moments each morning.
    Part of the reason for this is that the show was not too topical, which is a problem that plagues other shows like Fred Allen and Bob Hope.

Thanks for clarifying Greg. I was thrown off when you said: Kenny Baker was really Dennis' replacement . I thought you were disagreeing with me.

Ciao,
    Greg